We are a full service Architect and Interior Design Firm offering Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build Services.
Resort Living Entertainment/ Night Life
Office Buildings Multi Family
Shopping Centers Custom Dwellings
Retail Stores Renovations to Dwellings
Historically and in today’s era, Architects are defined by the style of architecture they create and it is evident in their work. As a client, you hire an architect based on their style of work and in most cases your project will be defined by the architect’s preference of style. But, wouldn’t it be great if you could hire an architect who could design your style rather than his/hers? Being able to have an architect listen to your needs rather than telling you how your needs are not relevant or do not fit within the style of the project. This is exactly the reason Norwood Architects was created. To design based on our client’s preference of style and to cater to our client’s needs.
Norwood Design Build was originally established in 2004 by its energetic and enthusiastic Principal, James Norwood “Woody” Vaughan, offering design services and transitioned into a full service architectural firm offering design, master planning and interior design services. Previously located in Smyrna, Georgia, we are now located in West Midtown where we are establishing ourselves as a part of the community. Woody was joined in 2006 by, Steve Etheridge, Associate.
Since inception, Norwood has been committed to providing exemplary service to our clients and has established a reputation for excellence in design. Our portfolio includes a wide range of projects types and styles. Our residential projects can be found throughout the Atlanta area and beyond and include new custom homes, custom renovations, unique condominium build-outs and multifamily housing. Our commercial and retail projects range from restaurants/food service facilities to office/warehouse buildings and retail centers. Our master planning efforts have encompassed the creation of an entirely new city in central America with focus on sustainability and livability.
We at Norwood Architects believe Architecture is as much a matter of serving people as it is a matter of good design. We feel design should be predicated upon a concern for people and communities. We maintain that Architecture should establish connections, encourage activities, enable transitions, heighten experiences, create landmarks and should in general enhance the built environment.
We also understand that design is an interactive process between the Architect and Owner. We assert that the Architect must understand the priorities, values and goals of the Owner. Only then, can a project be created which serves the Owner and community aesthetically, functionally and in every other sense.
SERVICES AND COMMITMENT
• We provide an array of services including Architectural design, Interior Design, Master Planning and Construction Services.
• We stress personalized and quality service to each client.
• Our professional experience, knowledge and dedication provide our clients with the level of expertise vital to maintaining excellence on each commission.
• We work to ensure that project schedules and budgets are met.
• We are not limited to any particular architectural style but have fluency and experience in all manner of styles.
• We possess the qualities and creativity to conceive a design idea and bring that idea to maturity and fruition.
• We relish working with others who share our concerns for the built environment for the benefit of our clients and their community.
• We are committed to the concept of green architecture and sustainable design.
W O O D Y N. V A U G H A N, AIA, NCARB
Woody has 20 years of experience in Master Planning, Office, Resort, Residential, Restaurant, Multifamily, and Industrial Facilities. He has an extensive background in construction that is unprecedented for an architect. While in architecture school, Woody worked as a superintendent and project manager for a construction company. This 7 year period in the construction field gave him a thorough understanding of construction as well as hands on experience in concrete and masonry, framing of wood and steel, finish carpentry and cabinetry, finishing of gypsum board, painting, installing suspended ceiling systems, welding, and electrical and plumbing work. With this background and his extensive experience with design-build projects, he is able to have a competitive edge as well as better understanding in the construction process than most architects.
Experience in programming, rezoning of property, site and climate analysis, Green and Sustainable design, budget and cost analysis.
Master planning, Schematic design, and Construction Documents with project budgets ranging from $50,000 to over $200M.
Currently provide design services and branding for Corporate Restaurant Franchises such as Stevi B’s Pizza, Cheeseburger Bobbys, Huey Lueys, and Boneheads.
Provided Planning & Design of $200M Resort in Costa Rica. Consisting of a Beach Club, Gatehouse, 372 Condo project, 16 Luxury Condos, 84 Condo project, & 18 Single Family Villas.
Provided Design and Construction administration for over 400 projects both in the United States and Internationally
Bachelor of Architecture – Southern Polytechnic State University, Marietta, GA USA
Minor in Development – Southern Polytechnic State University, Marietta, GA USA
2006 OBIE Gold Award Winner
2008 OBIE Gold Award Winner
2008 OBIE Silver Award Winner
2009 OBIE Gold Award Winner
Registered Architect – Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, New Jersey, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin
Registered Interior Designer – Georgia
The American Institute of Architects
National Council Architectural Registration Board, NCARB Certified #68658
The U.S. Green Building Council
Downtown Development Authority – Holly Springs, GA 2004-2006
Cobb Chamber of Commerce -2010 to present
S T E V E C. E T H E R I D G E
25 years cumulative experience in Commercial, Retail, Office, Residential and Historical Preservation projects.
Experience includes site evaluations, site analyses, evaluation/documentation of existing facilities & structures and programming.
Evaluated and documented over 100 commercial retail projects throughout the Southeast prior to renovation. Documentation included production of as-built drawings.
Investigated, evaluated and documented Historic Preservations projects inGeorgiaandAlabamaincluding Section 106 surveys.
Experience includes conceptual design, schematic design and design development.
- Adept at three dimensional modeling.
- Instrumental in the design and development of prototypes for a large grocery store chain.
- Produced construction documents including specifications for over 250 commercial retail projects throughout the Southeast. specifications for new mall projects throughout the Southeast.
- Produced construction documents and specifications for Historic Preservation projects in theGeorgiaand the southeast. Projects included renovation, restoration and adaptive reuse of historic structures.
- Produced construction documents and specifications for single and multi-family residences inGeorgia,Tennessee,AlabamaandNorth Carolina. Projects include custom homes.
Experience includes site observations and contract administration of projects throughout the Southeast. Construction site observations for dozens of retail new construction and renovation projects inAlabamaandGeorgia.
- Store Prototypes for Winn-Dixie Corporation –Jacksonville,Florida.
- HistoricNewton County,GeorgiaCourthouse Renovation and Adaptive Reuse –Covington,Georgia.
- Furman Home and Horse Farm -Boone,North Carolina.
Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Science – 1981
Troy State University: Troy, Alabama
Bachelor of Architecture – 1990
Auburn University: Auburn, Alabama